Steps to Apply
Steps to Apply
- STEP ONE: Inquire & Schedule a Tour
- STEP TWO: Prepare Your Documents
- STEP THREE: Begin Your Application
- STEP FOUR: Admission Test (Optional)
STEP ONE: Inquire & Schedule a Tour
Submit our online Inquiry Form to begin the process of applying to The Newman School.
We welcome prospective families to tour campus and learn about our community. Our Newman Student Ambassadors host 40-minute "Walk Around Newman" tours daily. This will give you an opportunity to hear from student's perspective and ask questions about a day in the life of Newman students. All tours begin at 181 Commonwealth Ave. where our students will show you how we use the city as our campus and guide you around the Newman neighborhood from Commonwealth Ave. to Marlborough St.
Access the button below to schedule a student-led campus tour:
STEP TWO: Prepare Your Documents
From the Current School:
- School transcripts from the last two years
- Most recent report cards
- Three recommendations: (Math, English, Administrator)
From You (Parent/Guardian & Applicant):
- Parent Statement: Brief description (1-2 paragraphs of your child's character as you see them and that might not be mentioned in the other recommendations)
- Student Essay: Short writing sample of fiction or non-fiction showing the writing style and student's voice. It can be old (within the past semester) or new writing. No more than one page please!
- Interview: The interview occurs via Zoom and focuses on the applicant for 20-30 minutes and then the parent(s)/guardian(s) for 20 minutes. We sometimes ask for an impromptu writing sample from the student so please have two computers ready so that the student can write while we speak with the adults. You may schedule this session in your application checklist in the calendar listed "Admission Zoom Interview".
- WE ARE TEST OPTIONAL. If you take a standardized test, please see Step Four. However, it is NOT required for the 2023-24 school year application.
- If your child has an IEP/504 plan and/or a neuropsychological evaluation, please communicate this to our admission director to arrange a support evaluation with our school counselor and learning plan specialist. Please upload all documents into the checklist as additional documents. Please do this as early as possible so our team can review this prior to the Jan. 31 deadline.
- If your first language is not English, please Step 4 for REQUIRED language assessment criteria.
STEP THREE: Begin Your Application
- Create a login through our website and school portal below and move through the application checklist.
- You must fill out the application form and pay the application fee in order to access the checklist.
- The checklist includes all items listed above in the first two steps. You simply plug in the teacher emails for recommendations and transcripts and upload your personal writing samples and testing in the coordinating checklist items.
- From here, you may also schedule a Zoom interview with admissions, sign up for a Zoom chat with admissions, schedule a walking tour, or join an open house.
- Please be sure to remember your login information. If you are accepted to The Newman School, you will use this page to sign the contract and pay the deposit.
STEP FOUR: Admission Test (Optional)
Register for an admission test (optional).
International Students: please submit your English test scores (IELTS, TOEFL, CEFR or Duolingo are accepted).
Dates & Deadlines
Interviews can be scheduled directly in the calendar via your application checklist. Due to limited space, one may only schedule an interview once they have completed the application form and paid the deposit. Interviews last 40 minutes to one hour.
What to Expect:
- 20 - 30 minutes: Getting to Know You
- 20 - 30 minutes: Meeting your Parent(s)/Guardian(s) (if available)
- 10 - 15 minutes: Real-time Writing Prompt: Please be sure to have a Gmail account to share via the Zoom text so the admission counselor can share a Google Doc with you in real time.
- IF you have learning accommodations where this type of exercise is not possible, please let us know! We are happy to alter our form of assessment.
- We utilize this prompt in lieu of formal testing. Some students do really well with verbal communication and others with written. This is another opportunity for you to express yourself in a different way. It is not meant to be difficult but fun. We try to provide a prompt in the context of your interests.
Newman Priority Application Timeline*
Families may follow the traditional independent school calendar OR take advantage of our Priority Deadline program. If accepted under Priority, students and families register with the intent to enroll for the 2023-24 school year. If you would like to be considered for priority admission, please be sure to note this in your application form.
Priority Admission Deadline: January 4, 2023
Decisions Release Date: February 4, 2023
Family Decision Date: March 4, 2023 (Must sign the contract and pay the deposit)
*Newman School has rolling admission throughout the year beginning after March 10.
Admission Deadline: January 31, 2023 (all checklist items must be completed including the interview- please schedule accordingly).
Decisions Release Date: March 10, 2023
Family Decision Date: April 10, 2023
*If we still have space available, we will begin rolling admission for the remainder of the year.