Pre-IB Visual Art 10
Ms. Giarratani Fall 2012
Students in this course will continue developing skills and techniques in drawing, painting, collage and printmaking in addition to studying the art of various cultures. Students, with prior knowledge of art gained in Pre-IB Art 9, will learn to incorporate such knowledge and build on artistic expression. This course pays particular attention to the Principles of Art, as curricula in Pre-IB Art 9 had focused on the Elements. Students are expected to keep organized, create and analyze their own projects, as well as critique and understand the importance of individual research and development, which will prepare them for IB Visual Arts.
Students are required to complete a variety of class and home art projects. It is not possible to pass this course without completing ALL assignments. YOU WILL RECEIVE AN “F” IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE ALL THE WORK FOR THIS CLASS!!!
Students are also required to PARTICIPATE. The majority of class work requires the student to share impressions, presumptions, opinions of their art, their classmates’ art, and art in general. If you do not participate daily, you will not receive full credit on projects.
Please buy the following materials FROM THE BOOKSTORE:
An IW Workbook (This must be new—do NOT use someone else’s used book, and NOT spiral-bound)
Pencil and eraser
Goals and Objectives
• Investigate past, present and emerging forms of visual arts and engage in producing, appreciating and evaluating
• Develop an understanding of visual arts from a local, national and international perspective
• Build confidence in responding visually and creatively to personal and cultural experiences
• Develop skills in, and sensitivity to, the creation of works that reflect active and individual involvement
• Take responsibility for the direction of their learning through the acquisition of effective working practices
Course policies and expectations
1. No food or drinks in class. NONE!
2. Come to class prepared. ALWAYS BRING YOUR IW WORKBOOK and PEN TO CLASS. Not being prepared for class will result in missing class, having to make up work on your own time, and serving detention.
3. Homework is expected on time. Students will be required to stay after school when homework is not turned in on time. Any late homework will not receive full credit. ALL ASSIGNMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED ON TIME TO RECEIVE FULL CREDIT. YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL WORK FOR THIS COURSE IN ORDER TO PASS. Any homework not turned will result in an “F” for the course.
4. YOU are responsible for making up the work. Please be sure to see me to get any missing assignments.
5. There will be weekly investigations that you are expected to complete fully in your IW. Any part of an investigation missing will result in fewer points, and if this behavior is repeated, detention will be administered and your grade will be affected.
6. There will be a total of 4 vocabulary quizzes throughout the semester. If you are absent and miss a quiz, you will receive a 0. There are NO MAKEUPS for quizzes, and will be able to get more points by attending International Student Luncheons (see # 9, “EXTRA CREDIT”).
7. Projects are graded with weighted rubrics designed specifically for assessing a skill.
8. Your grade for the course is calculated in points. Each assignment is given a point value depending on difficulty and/or complexity. At the end of the grading period, your points are added up and divided by the total number possible, producing your grade.
9. EXTRA CREDIT: If you are concerned about your performance in art, there are opportunities to gain extra points. If you sign up and attend International Student Luncheons, you will be given an extra 50 points toward this class. Each Luncheon is 30 points, but YOU MUST ATTEND AND PARTICIPATE. To sign up, listen for Ms. Cascio’s announcement and sign up for the luncheon at the main office. On the day of the luncheon, you must bring your lunch and an open mind. Ms. Cascio and I have made arrangements for this opportunity and we will know when/if you attend to receive the extra points.
10. Have patience with yourself, and bring an open mind.
Everyday I will put the homework online for you to check in case you forget. Also, if you are absent, this will help you always come to class prepared.
To check homework assignments online:
Go to newmanboston.org, click the students tab, click on Academic Portal, select Arts department, select Pre-IB Visual Arts 10 - Ms. Giarratani, then finally click on Daily Assignments.