THE NEWMAN SCHOOL
IB LATIN I
Mrs. Read 2012-2013
IB Latin 1 will continue the student’s learning of Latin and grammar from the previous classes, but at a higher level. The student will continue to read Latin texts, including some primary source material, as well as learn about important Latin authors, Roman culture, and ancient history and mythology.
• Horace, Epodes & Odes.
• A Student’s Catullus.
• Vergil, Vergil’s Aeneid Books I-VI
• Latin/English Dictionary.
• Three-ringed binder and lined paper.
• Index cards.
Goals and Objectives
• Continue to improve translating skills and the student’s ability to sight-read.
• To learn advanced forms of Latin grammar and composition.
• Continue to learn about Roman history and culture through primary source readings.
• To prepare for the IB Latin examination papers in the second year.
• 20% Class Participation. This includes the level of active work in the classroom, attendance, punctuality, and preparation for class each day.
• 10% Homework.
• 10% Special Papers, Projects and Presentations
• 20% Quizzes (including POP QUIZZES).
• 20% Tests.
• 20% Midterm and semester examinations.